Hussein Imran Mousa
Consultant neurosurgeon, FIBMS(Neurosurg.), FIAANS, FIISSP, FINASS
Neurosurgical dep., Basra teaching hospital, Basra, Iraq.
Date of Birth: 17/3/1973
Marital Status: Married
Address institution: Alsadr Teaching Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery.
Web site: www.iraqpainclinic.com
EDUCATIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Member of North American Spine Society 2016.
- Consultant neurosurgeon at 17 Jan. 2016
- Member of International Association for the Study of Pain at 2015.
- Training of trainer, TOT at May 2012.
- Member of ATLS and ACLS at 17 Mar, 2011.
- Member of AOSpine at 25 Feb.2011.
- Member of American Association of Neurological surgeons at 16 Jul.2010.
- Fellow of Iraqi Board of Medical Specialization (Neurosurgery) at Nov, 2005.
- MBChB: the medical college of Basra, Iraq in June 1996.
- Training of trainer, TOT at May 2012.
- Specialist in neurosurgery in Alsadr teaching hospital from January 2006- .
- Postgraduate training in Iraqi medical board center of Baghdad from 2000-2005. 4 years in Baghdad & 1 year in Alsadr Teaching Hospitals.
Baghdad Neurosurgical Hospital is a major neurosurgical centres in capital Baghdad (population of about 8 million) .It is the largest neurosurgical centre in Iraq which provides neurosurgical care to a very large number of people. The centre has 6 major units (general ward, emergency dept., intensive care unit, operating rooms, rehabilitation and outpatient department).
Alsadr Teaching Hospital is one of the 5 major public hospitals in Basra city (population more than 2 million) which is the second largest city in Iraq after the capital Baghdad .It is the largest neurosurgical centre in the south of Iraq.
It was a full time, extensive and busy 5 years of training in different neurosurgical fields under full and accredited supervision. To be a fellow you have to pass primary exam. During the first year of training and final examination, written and clinical, at the end of the final year.
I have 6 months of training in General Surgery, 3 months in Anaesthesia & Intensive care unit, 3 months in neuromedicine .The rest of training was spent in the neurosurgery wards & the emergency department. I had passed the first and finally exam. from the first attempt.
- SHO in general surgery in Basrah general hospital from 1999-2000.
- House officer doctor in Basra hospitals from 1997-1999. 2 years of experience was a rotating roster in most of the medical disciplines and in different hospitals in Basrah city: general surgery 7/12, paediatrics 3/12, O&G 3/12, general medicine 3/12, chest and neurosurgery 3/12, preventive medicine 2/12, orthopaedics 3/12.
As a full time neurosurgery with more focusing in spine surgery and pain clinic, I work about 10 hours daily, the arrange my activity one day a week as following :
- Consultant neurosurgeon sharing the on call roster.
- Working in operating rooms in different neurosurgical fields. Included: tumours, congenital malformation, spine and orbital surgery.
- Clinical training with lecture in Basrah Operating Department for different doctors specialist and degree, different medical substaff groups and people for emergency medicine ATLS.
- Out patients’ clinic received referral cases from anther hospitals and medical health institutions for different neurosurgical cases.
- Out patients clinic in Oncology Basrah Center received two types of referral patients. Cancer of brain and spinal cord and intractable cancer pain.
- Pain intervention procedures.
Throughout 16 years of working in neurosurgery (as SpR and specialist) and 18 years as a doctor, I have developed the essential skills of a surgeon. This includes the systematic approach in diagnosing and managing various surgical conditions including tumours, congenital malformation, spine, orbital surgery, surgical emergencies and extreme war neurosurgery. War surgery brought a more handy and skillful practice in many aspects of the neurosurgical trauma with it is consequences. It was so hard to work in those unsecured conditions when most of colleagues left home increasing our work load. I have performed more than (3000) operations independently including endoscopic and different spine fixation operations, and assisted in (600) operations.
I have progressively increasing my work in spinal surgery. A lot of I operated patients with cervical, dorsal and lumber transpedicular fixation, Patients with different spinal tumor, meningioma, schwannoma and intradural spinal glioma, patients’ endoscopic discectomy, patients vertebral replacement and fixations, patients with anterior cervical discectomy.
I shear with my colloquies and open first intervention pain clinic in Basrah Oncology Center at 2013. I doing different intervention pain managements procedure like cervical, lumber and caudal epidural steroid injections, facet joint, median and different sympathetic nerve block.
I coped with long hours of work, time pressure and maintained a professional and friendly relationship with my colleagues, developing teaching and communication skills in a teamwork setting. I have developed humanistic and ethically sensitive approach towards my patients. Below is a description of my activity in the various jobs that I have done:
1- I share with many spine workshops in different word situation, included the following:
- 2nd international advance training course of prof. Destandau’s technique for endoscopic and lumbar discectomy 13th and 14th November 2009, organized under Chandigarh chapter of IOA. During this practice a heavy workshops on cadaver direct teaching by prof. Destandau on different cervical and lumber endoscopic approaches. This organized at Artheroscopy and Spinal Endoscopy Centre in Gian Sagar Medical College Hospital, Chandigarh India.
- Society for Progress and Innovations for the Near East: Updates and Cadaveric Bioskills Workshops In Beirut, Lebanon on June 23 – 26, 2010 that controlled by Boston University School of Medicine, during that course last updating in spine surgery lectures with heavy duties workshops on different last spinal approach including minimum invasive techniques cervical, dorsal and lumber transpedicular fixation, kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty, vertebral osteotomy, endoscopic discectomy, epidural stimulation, cervical and lumber epidural steroid injections, median and sympathetic nerve block.
- Minimally invasive spine workshop held by DePuy at 27th February Zug, Swaziland 2012.
- Global spine conference UAE, Dubai April 13-16, 2016.
- Stereotactic neurosurgery workshop held by scientific council of the Arab Board of Neurosurgery Basrah, Iraq July 26, 2017.
- Deep brain stimulation for movement disorder / basic coarse held by scientific council of the Arab Board of Neurosurgery Basrah, Iraq July 27, 2017.
2- For pain managements, I participated in many intervention pain management conferences and workshop:
- Comprehensive intervention pain management course VI, basic and advance pain management conference and workshop held on 15th – 16th June Ahmadabad, India 2013.
- Fellowship for intervention pain management from pain clinic of Mumbai, India 2013.
- Level three advance spinal sonography held by American association of pain management in ultrasound from 18 -19 Jan. Tampa, Florida 2014.
- 20th annual advanced pain conference and practical workshop held by European accreditation council for continuing medical education from 24-26 Aug. Budapest, Hungary 2015.
- 16th World Congress on Pain held by International Association Study of Pain from 26-30 Sep. Yokohama, Japan 2016.
3- Trainer in Basrah Operating Department. I training a lot of doctors and medical staffs for the Emergency Medicine Training Course in Basrah after passing successfully the 6- 17 Mar. Emergency Medicine Training Course-ATLS and ACLS.
4- Participated (lecturer) in the following conferences :
- Second International Emergency Medicine Conference Iraq, Basrah 22 – 23 May 2013. Activities: 1- Civilian Craniocerebral Gunshot Wounds In Basrah. 2- Pain Workshop.
- Second Annual International Medical Conference, Iraq- Alnassria 2013. Leukocytosis as Prognostic Factor for Severe Multiple Injuries.
- Third Annual Iraq Health Conference and Exhibition Iraq, Basrah 3 – 6 October, 2013. Spinal Cord Stimulation.
- International Conference on Emergencies in Head and Neck Missile Injuries Iraq, basrah 2-4 May 2015. Outcome of Paediatric Missile Head Injuries.
- Global spine conference UAE, Dubai April 13-16, 2016. The effect of post operative sand bag pressure on CSF leak after spinal surgery.
- 16th World Congress on Pain Yokohama, Japan Sep 26-30, 2016. Efficacy of pulsed radiofrequency as treatment for chronic headache.
- International headache symposium Basrah, Iraq May 3, 2017.
- The first international conference of pain medicine Baghdad, Iraq Oct 20-21, 2017.
5- Publish articles:
- Leukocytosis as Prognostic Factor for Severe Multiple Injuries. Thiqar Medical Journal ISSN 1992-9218: Vol.7, Issue 2, 2013, 50-57.
- Efficacy of Botox Injection Around Scalp Nerves as Prophylaxis for Chronic Daily Headache. International Journal of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences (IJMPS) ISSN(P): 2250-0049; ISSN(E): 2321-0095 Vol. 4, Issue 5, Oct 2014, 49-58.
- Civilian Craniocerebral Gunshot Wounds In Basrah . International Journal of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences (IJMPS) ISSN(P): 2250-0049; ISSN(E): 2321-0095 4, Issue 6, Dec 2014, 1-10.
- Epidural Drain Indicated or Not Indicated up to Three Level Lumbar Surgeries. . International Journal of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences (IJMPS) ISSN(P): 2250-0049; ISSN(E): 2321-0095 Vol. 4, Issue 5, Dec 2014, 11-16.
- Outcome of Paediatric Missile Head Injuries. . International Journal of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences (IJMPS) ISSN(P): 2250-0049; ISSN(E): 2321-0095 Vol.3, Issue 3, Jun 2015, 99-108.